Friday, November 18, 2011

Sweeny Todd

The other day at work I was talking about a pub I had been to recently.  In trying to give an impression of what it was like I said "from the outside it looks like somewhere where you might get stabbed, but the inside is actually quite nice".  Without missing a beat, one of my colleagues said "is that Sweeneys?"

He was dead right, and the funny thing is, I still can't work out what exactly contributes to the general aura of "you-will-get-stabbed-ness.  I mean, there isn't even a sign that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service" which, I find, always flags concern.  I pass it on average about 4 times a week and have never seen any hideously drunk or injured people scattered on the pavement nearby, there's no 80s rock blasting from the interior, there are no bullet holes or broken windows... I guess it's just one of life's great mysteries.

No comments: