Cackademia is a pooey place to be at times, especially when you know you are staring down the barrel of un- or partial employment after slogging your guts out for a number of years writing a thesis on something fabulous and world changing like 'Syntactic Analysis Of "The Ants Went Marching Two By Two"; A Post-Thoraxian Approach'
So far in my thesis, I am only up to the chapter on The Ants Went Marching Six by Six, but I figure now would be a good time to explore possible Plans B, C, D or E. I think it's a good idea to go for jobs that have some connection to your interests, or suit your personality in some way...
Jobs I Would Like If All Else Fails
1. Lion Tamer (I really like cats, and this would be taking my personal interest to the Next Level)
2. Vintner (self explanatory)
3. Tea Grower in India (I love tea. I can watch Bollywood musicals on my weekends)
4. Presenter on Playschool (get to do all the fun stuff like sing songs, do craft and read stories without any actual contact with any actual children)
5. Life Coach (I like telling people what to do. Not in a bossy way, but in a "I am so sagacious, you will be changed for the better if you follow my advice" kind of way. Other benefits for this job include a comfy armchair, and lots of thoughtful nodding)
6. Gorilla-gram (it can't be that hard)
7. Temp in a law firm (see 'my personal hero' link on juicebar's blog for details, but basically I think it would be cool to leave the office hours before the lawyers everyday, and feel a sense of pity for the overworked, underwhelmed mass)
8. Wedding Planner (I am a passionate advocate of reducing the number of instances when Pachelbel's Canon and Handel's Bridal March may be heard. I think I could do a lot of good work from The Inside)